Slide Show Image
15 foot by 19 inch Frej drawn by Bjorn Thomassson. The objective of the project was a high performance, great looking design for my petite wife which could be executed at 25 lbs or less to make it easy to carry. Construction highlights:
- Major focus on light weight so basic execution was 3/16 inch western red cedar with 4 oz s-glass inside and out…very careful epoxy work.
- Keyhole style cockpit for ease of entry and exit. Since the boat is built light with no rub-pads, the idea is you don’t drag it or run it up on beach….but get your legs out and pick up the boat.
- Stained with Behlens SolarLux stain Blood Red with white cedar accents.
- Custom seat from Joe Greenley at Redfish Kayaks. The seat integrates back and thigh support into a single unit so there is no back band or cheek plates. A very clean design and contributes to light weight
- Custom built, carbon fibre skeg and skeg box. Control box and mechanicals are provided by Mark at Superior Kayaks.
- Soft pad-eyes for all the deck rigging inspired by Redfish kayaks…..robust but light as there are no screws
- Optic yellow bungee for some ‘pop’ against the deep red color of the hull
- Kevlar for seaming and carbon in bulkheads to keep weight down.
- Chesapeake Light Craft cut the forms. Dan at Clearstream provided the reduction.