A method of building kayaks out of plywood.
The basic process for Stitch & Glue is: Note there are many possible variations from this method.
- "Scarf" together several pieces of plywood (Make one big sheet out of several 4x8 sheets. Double glassed [butt joint]?s are easier and good as well.Use 4 oz fiberglass.
- Draw the parts full-sized on the plywood. (correct shape is critical)
- Cutout the parts.
- Drill small holes along the edges of the parts every 3" to 5".
- With wire? "stitch?" the panels for the hull together through the drilled holes.
- Glue the interior seams with a "fillet" of thickened resin covered with `glass tape.
- repeat 5 & 6 for the deck.
- Bond together the deck and hull in a similar manner.
- Cut the wires and pull them out or sand them down.
- "Radius" the corners.
- Fiberglass the outside. (optional but recommend on the bottom of the hull)
- Sand and Paint.